T2A client and uodemo server

The UO "Demo" is a slightly modified OSI UO Server and Client which was bundled on the Ultima Online Second Age retail CD. This forum seeks to reveal it's mysteries.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 am
I'm really new to this. Please forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question.

I was just wondering, would it ever be possible to set up the UODemo+ to act as a server and then, instead of connecting to the demo server with another demo client, connect to it with the full T2A client/installation that is included on the T2A CD from 1998? In theory couldn't someone just install T2A from the CD and then change the login.cfg to the appropriate server address, start the client and login to the UODemo+ server?

I just thought this could be really interesting. :)

Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:40 pm
I tried it when I started on this project.

A few pitfalls:

1) between demo compilation and T2A official release there were protocol changes
- early testing between Derrick and myself revealed that the T2A client will hang due these changes when talking
2) early on in the T2A era the login protocol was changed completely
3) the demo server does not support encryption
- so the client needs to be patched, the early T2A clients have built-in support to disable encryption

Everything can be hacked of course but things like this take time...
<Derrick> RunUO AI is kind of a functional prototype, which i have hacked into something resembling OSI behavior, but only by complitcating everything

Return to UO Demo