[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4715: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4716: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Question on Worldfile? | JoinUO Forums

Question on Worldfile?

Discussion forum for the UO:98 emulator project.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm
Hi.

I just found this site and the UO:98 project today. I was surfing for UO shards that were running worlds from back during the T2A or earlier periods of UO's history. Thats when I stumbled upon this site. I've worked on UO shards in the past and even had a few running for a while, but I never quite got into the new lands, creatures and rules that came along over the year. AOS? No thanks!

So, I see that this UO:98 project might be what I've been looking for since pretty much the first UO emulators. What I wanted to ask is this. Is the entire world populated due to the original nature of the demo, or is it similar to other UO emulators where the GMs must spawn all the creatures, NPCs, quests, etc... If the GM must manually go in and set spawners, etc... is there a program to do that in UO:98, or is it done like it was in the early days of UO emulation via the client and command line?

Thanks
John

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 pm
Hello

The demo only contained a decorated ocllo therefor the rest of the world is not authentic.

You should read the demo forums also as they contain lots of technical information about how the demo works and what we know about it : viewforum.php?f=32

Derrick was able to fill the world with resources (ores, wood, fish) by using the leaked God client from year 2000. The scripting language is authentic. The server code itself is from OSI but is very old - 1998 - and it dates from a time UO Extreme was being used. While no one of us has done the effort to try so, I am confident that UO Extreme can be used and "hidden players" can be seen when connected to a UO:98 shard, that's how old and authentic the server code is.

Since this is a project based on reverse engineering, no other than the God client and the tools we created exist. But you are always free to write your own tools and release them to the public.

No real source code of the demo internals exist. The C# code just interfaces with OSI's code and only extends those parts we understand (like modifying packets to work with modern clients). Any bugs inside the EXE are difficult to analyze and therefor even more difficult to fix. While it is possible to run a full shard it will take some serious effort to do so and write the better tools for it.

I could go on about this for hours...
<Derrick> RunUO AI is kind of a functional prototype, which i have hacked into something resembling OSI behavior, but only by complitcating everything

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm
Ditto to all Batlins comments.

The distribution deco is pretty authentic although there's very likely some extra stuff in it, it's fully configurable though.

Other issues like being able to see hidden players could be taken care of using packet filters.

The world is fully spawned, but not as much detail as is deserving was put into it. I am excited about others helping to further refine the distribution. Thanks for your interest!

Return to UO:98