[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4715: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4716: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Shards False Advertising , is it ok? yea or nay? | JoinUO Forums

Shards False Advertising , is it ok? yea or nay?

Discuss topics relating to JoinUO only.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:41 pm
Not to point a finger, but there is a shard high up on the list (Pandora) that claims they have High sea update , well the meat of the matter is that yea they have an advanced fishing system , many of the new fish types , scalis , sea wyrms ,some unique sea monster types, some fish pies (not all) one galleon type that does not have the ability to hold cannons or be damaged. It had a wooden chest on the deck for a cargo hold and it will store 125 items or 400 stones. The other two galleon types are not available, the quest for the free galleon is not available , the pirate kill board is not available , they do have roaming pirates but they are on normal ships (not galleons) and there is no way to claim a kill as that system is not present on the server. the blacksmith can not product any cannon ,nor the tinker,cook or tailor options concerning cannon arming and firing, all in all Id say honestly that almost 1/2 the high sea update is active but not the full patch , this is clearly false advertisement and IMHO should not be bragged on as if they have the whole high sea update when in reality.. they have less than 1/2 of it actually active on the shard. Salt peter is also not available to be mined from a niter deposit. 8-) :) :D :shock: :idea: :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 pm
I assumed that they meant they supported the HS client. I don't think there are any shards in existance that fully support all the aspects of any era of UO.

In terms of whether it's ok or not to make false claims: I don't think there is much advantage for people to make untrue claims about a shard, as they will most likely be revealed as false quickly. Because shard owners above all else require the trust of their users in order to be successful, I don't really think this is something that's worth the limited resources of the JoinUO team to be monitoring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 pm
Apologize for just seeing this. -- As it's old & no one cares. But it's public so I will reply.

Far from false advertising, we been around for years. First with Stygian Abyss also. Nothing to prove here & not desperate for players to the point of lying, like Derrick says, extremely obvious.

Not to point a finger,
Isn't that exactly what you're doing? And when you own a large shard for many years, you will know that people do this all the time to your shard. They are usually people who are extremely jealous of your shards success and content. Not sure if that's your case, but my guess. Yes. -- or you got banned for being dumb & want to try and slander. Something everyone legit shard deals with on a weekly basis.

but there is a shard high up on the list (Pandora) that claims they have High sea update , well the meat of the matter is that yea they have an advanced fishing system , many of the new fish types , scalis , sea wyrms ,some unique sea monster types, some fish pies (not all)

We have always had, every single new fish/lobster/crab (I think there is like 80 of them?) They are all proper name & colors. Easy.

You're forgetting Corgul the Soulbinder, quest to the Island, all High Seas artifacts also.

And we have every single fish pie, UO Guide accurate, working perfectly. Along with all new ingreids, fish chef, sea markets, high seas stealables. Cooking menu High Seas accurate, with even the changes / exceptional chances completely UO Guide accurate for every fish pie.

one galleon type that does not have the ability to hold cannons or be damaged. It had a wooden chest on the deck for a cargo hold and it will store 125 items or 400 stones.

We put in Cannons & damaged boats (as you can see they are now used for decoration all over Pandora, as Cannon fighting was completely worthless for our shard. People thought it was cool for around 2 days. Then no one used over 3 months time, so we pulled them & made the boats cleaner & more simple for sleekness.

The other two galleon types are not available, the quest for the free galleon is not available , the pirate kill board is not available , they do have roaming pirates but they are on normal ships (not galleons)

The other 2 Galleon types were about the same size as a normal boat, didn't see the point. Also 1 or 2 have been given away as special event things. Always have an Ace up your sleeve, trust me -- We had a shard vote, people chose the Brit Galleon. ---- Yes the quest for Galleon is there, for people who roleplay, not really Pandora's style all that much, so we stuck it on the Fish Monger for a gold sink.

yes we have roaming pirates, and to stick them on a Galleon we already have instead of a normal boat, takes around 30 seconds time. -- But if you would take a look at it, it's completely ridiculous for those big boats to be sitting in random water location with Pirates on them. It's a total over kill - Not to mention it's a extra pain to try and loot them & just silly.

and there is no way to claim a kill as that system is not present on the server.

We have the most advanced automated Battle system in RunUO history developed by RunUO Legend Vorspire only for Pandora with many other pvp kill things, rewards, Auto Battle Season, list goes on. -- So the claim system you're talking about it like holding up a pebble to a stone wall. Again we chose to have it. --That's why we are still up - is we know whats best for our servers & actually have a creative team who considers injecting things into a population before hand with careful planning & not whatever someone can get for free off a RunUO forum to stick in their server with out second thought.

the blacksmith can not product any cannon
I answered this above -- But you can buy them with a particular currency -- Better for the economy than a little mining, etc & it's done.

Salt peter is also not available to be mined from a niter deposit.

Try mining with 100.0 Mining skill for like an hour. LOL -- Oh yes, all ingreids are there, all resources.

all in all Id say honestly that almost 1/2 the high sea update is active but not the full patch , this is clearly false advertisement and IMHO should not be bragged on as if they have the whole high sea update when in reality.. they have less than 1/2 of it actually active on the shard.

All in all I'd say honestly that you 1/2 know what you're talking about with the High Seas update. You are clearly trying to false slander & advertise us for Lord knows what reasons. But probably you'd like to start a shard & wonder just how the heck we did it. -- A tip from someone who does know how to do it -- It's not this way -- As you have made yourself sound extremely dumb -- I see a lot of replies here to back you up also -- And if what half of what you are saying is true, we would't have a large player base for 3 years in a row... Just saying.

And it's not bragging about High Seas update. It's a fact. We don't need to brag. Our reputation speaks for it's self. We pick and choose what is best for our world, as hard as it is for you to believe, OSI doesn't always have the best ideas. They are just people creating -- We have the advantage to learn from others mistakes while being totally new. We are nothing like OSI shards, different style. Means things have to be adjusted. If you ever get a shard with more than 20 players you will understand.. So please --- Grow up.

And Derrick has done a professional job running Join UO for a long time. I think he has the best interest of his site. Some people are professional, some not. -- You shall learn someday.

Thanks again to Derrick for JoinUO -- Sorry to troll your board for a second. But I felt the right to defend Pandora in the desperate attempt of slander.

Anyone who feels like playing check out http://www.PandoraUO.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 am

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:49 am
For starters, posting a thread to "call out" a server simply isn't right. If you have an issue with their server or their services provided, then simply leave. There's no need to try and start a riot over something as trivial as "false advertisement". I guarantee every owner bends the truth a bit to lure in more players - it's called marketing.

Don't misconstrue this for me coming to the aid of Pandora; because the truth has been bent and it's fairly obvious to those who've been part of the free shard community long enough. But that's neither here nor there, and creating a thread to point it out isn't necessary. There's been enough of that nonsense going on within these forums as of late.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:15 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:20 pm
And your desire to "protect" the interests of the free shard community is commendable, but I'm sure the players can handle themselves. Pandora certainly wasn't the first server with either expansion (Orbsydia launched their SA project well before any server provided their own customized support), and they're certainly not the only server with the content (ABC, Imperium, COV, and a handful of others have supported SA/HS content for quite some time). People are already aware of the over dramatized marketing ploy Pandora uses, so again, there's no need to create a thread just to point that out.

If you're so inspired, why not open a community of your own, aimed at providing feedback on individual servers? There are literally thousands of free website/forum packages to choose from if you're not willing to invest the money. You're obviously willing to invest the time, and that's all you need.

Just as a side note, it is "his way or the highway". It's his domain, and no one is entitled to tell him how to run it or otherwise. The same applies to every free server out there -- if you don't like what they offer, there's no need to stay. It's a free service.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 am
:D Thank you everyone for caring so much about a successful shard. With hard work, you too can have one.

And Orbit, thank you for being mature, I respect it. Now, Orbs was far behind than us when we launched. Just because they had a community project doesn't mean they had a community live server. I remember reading the boards to try & help but they were still trying to figure out Gargoyle's lag when flying & things like that.. It was too far behind. But it doesn't matter neither here nor there. -- That's OK. Others have some stuff now, but I honestly feel like we have the most complete package.

We feel honored that we are worth talking about. And wish the best to every shard owner. As we all do share something in common, the love of UO. It's a genre, and a small world.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 am
@Little_Imp

We have priorities and boats are not one of them at the moment, but I can say for certain we have smooth boat movement working in a branch test server, not just for boats; we can drive around in houses and fly around on treasure piles if we want, simple boats are way down the priority list in favour of an extensive vehicles system.

I have been the sole developer on Pandora's team for the past year, new and custom content is a preferred priority and these things take time.

It really doesn't matter what features we do and do not support, we can't make a gigantic list about them in a box with a limited amount of characters.

You are just nit-picking and wasting people's time, you have a right to an opinion, but you don't have the right to be slanderous.
You have shown me exactly how immature you can be by attacking Konstantine like this and all without even spelling his name correctly - one would wonder if you really did play on Pandora as much as you say you have.

Shards have fiddled their player counts for years and their features list, Pandora does not do either of these things, although some things are exaggerated to attract a would-be players' attention, this is called marketing.

The very fact that I've had to take the time to make an account and write this reply is ridiculous, you attempt to accuse a free service for false advertising when it's not even an established company?

If you're going to point out the negatives of a particular service or company and you're going to target individuals when you do it, you'd better be ready for the possible consequence of harassment and/or slander lawsuits.
You may think you can hide behind an anonymous internet name, but you would be wrong to think that.

You have a right to an opinion, you do not have a right to make outrageous accusations without full and proper evidence, you should also know that the person you are accusing has a right to face you in a court of law should they chose to take your claims seriously. -In this case you're lucky, because Konstantine is an outstanding person and I'm fairly certain by the nature of his replies that he's laughing this one off, this time.

I suggest you edit your posts and remove your slander before this goes any further.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 am
and if you don't know who Vorspire is then you been living under a rock for the past 5 years.

He's respectable within the entire UO community & more or less a legend, in shard code & development.
Next

Return to General Discussion