[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4715: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4716: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
spell interrupts | JoinUO Forums

spell interrupts

The UO "Demo" is a slightly modified OSI UO Server and Client which was bundled on the Ultima Online Second Age retail CD. This forum seeks to reveal it's mysteries.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:14 am
Out of curiosity how do spell interrupts work on the demo? Is it only from melee attacks or melee + spells. Do weakness and such interrupt?

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:32 pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:37 am
Interesting what's odd is I just don't remember players using feeblemind, weaken, and clusmy or curse for that matter on OSI to interrupt spells with and remember curse being used extensively to debuff players.

Are you 100% positive debuff spells interrupt in the demo?

I suppose my memory could just be off considering back when I played UO on OSI the most equip/unequip and last target were considered 3rd party exploits you could technically precast without UOE, but it wasn't as easily done because you needed to physically equip your weapon without a macro to do so which probably also explains why curse was so widely used as well.

Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:55 pm
Attachments
Double Hit event and Zero Damage.jpg
Double Hit event and Zero Damage.jpg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 10846 times
<Derrick> RunUO AI is kind of a functional prototype, which i have hacked into something resembling OSI behavior, but only by complitcating everything

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:49 pm
Where can I find getSkillSuccessChance?

Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 pm
<Derrick> RunUO AI is kind of a functional prototype, which i have hacked into something resembling OSI behavior, but only by complitcating everything

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 am
Batlin you know how I brought up the spell interrupts thing awhile back I've finally figured out the situation in full to make some sense of things and why I remembered things a certain way. Keep in mind this is all to do with early UO prior to expansions which the Demo itself is ultimately based upon which is the reason question was raised in the first place. I'm hoping on a accurate and fun pre expansion UO to be created someday something that has yet to see and experience on a emulator.

Seems my memory regarding debuff interrupts factually wrong and inaccurate, but not faulty in relevance. I debated this with a lot of UO emulator kiddies for a long time about early UO and players not using the weaken, feeble mind, and clumsy spell interrupt spamming tricks back in those times prior to expansion or for the majority portions of it. It all boils down to last target, arm, and disarm though instant hit is another part of it. Those features weren't in game in early UO prior to the expansion or for the bulk of it anyone that was the case at large. Meditation wasn't in game early on and eval didn't increase magery damage early on either those are some other issues as well that tie in some though not completely.

In order to have done the 3 trick pony combo you would have had to manually unequip and reequip 3 separate times on top of casting spells and target the player 3 separate times which case in point makes it infeasible in and of itself essentially. I don't care how good the player is try doing all of the aforementioned consistently enough to avoid players greater heal spell casting while simultaneously doing melee damage. Add in the lack of eval damage bonus and meditation and it's a real issue.

I made the argument with many on private servers that I remember everyone casting curse in early UO prior to expansion. The things I mentioned clearly indicate why that is true or give me the benefit of logical reason why it would have made sense keeping things in perspective. Why would a player back then spend more mana casting 3 separate spells instead of casting curse that's more overall mana efficient and less time consuming to cast then 3 things at once? The answer is it didn't happen.

Only players that had and used UOE had access to arm/disarm and last target. So the players not using it were all ready put at a disadvantage in that aspect. Would players all ready put at a disadvantage waste time doing the aforementioned weaken, feeble mind, clumsy trick in 1 on 1 pvp? Maybe in group pvp sure, but even then it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to do so.

Not only that in order to do so before the UOE player was able to cast greater heal in the first place they would have had to have had their hands free in the first place making it completely infeasible. I don't care how fast the player is at manually arming and disarming items they aren't faster then a program automatically instantly doing it case closed mythbusted.

Return to UO Demo