Weakness, Feeble Mind, and Clumsy

Discussion forum for the UO:98 emulator project.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am
I guess this is possibly or probably most relevant for here because it's the client/server I'm most interested in, but the question applies to RunUO or any other UO emulator's around as well. Anyway with weakness, feeble mind, and clumsy is it possible to put them all on the same interrupt chance trigger timer as if you were casting curse for example then trying to use them with the primary intent of spell interruption in mind.

I have a practical reason for asking to help maintain era accuracy to pre expansion UO in regards to how the game was actually actively played at the time prior to T2A's release itself. Since last target, arm, and disarm were not legitimate legal in game commands in those times outside of 3rd party tools and while it's not my express content not to use those things more to maintain accuracy with how the player base actually played at the time it wasn't feasibly possible to use them for spell interruption the way it is today on private servers.

I'll explain this in simplistic terms without macro's in order to cast the 3 spells mentioned and order to actually be used for spell casting interruption purposes not only would you have to unequip, reequip, and target a player on 3 separate occasions each 9 times total a player additionally would have been able to do it while playing against more then simply a handful of these players who actively were using the cheat program UO Extreme aka UOE during that time period which is virtually impossible because UOE had a arm/disarm macro and would also auto disarm for spell casting.

The reaction time alone would normally make it impossible from a player to successfully accomplish again even a 4th level spell like greater heal, but on 3 separate occasions successfully. I'm just not believing that nonsense for one moment. Also keep in mind on top of that they need to arm/disarm for all the typical offensive spells as well though they can string a few of those together of course they would still be required to manually target for each spell. Even assuming a big burst front load string of offensive magery like magic arrow, poison, ebolt, ebolt, explosion in succession that's still 5 times manually targeting a player along with the 2 more steps from the initial disarm and follow up arm equip phase that 7 steps plus the 9 debuff steps from the 3 spell interruptions 16 steps in total and that's be generous perhaps to the say the least with the offensive magery portion and pretty much eliminates the general concept of precasting and meleeing them down to a ideal low health window of opportunity.

Then when you take into account that meditation wasn't in place for a big portion of pre expansion UO and mana conservation is of more importance curse has both a mana efficiency advantage and a huge time approach advantage during the era. If you take into account how the time frame where eval didn't contribute to magery damage it compounds the situation that much further, but even w/o those two particular factors its crystal clear the three spells weren't used in the same context as they are today on private servers pertaining to UO's infancy era.

Said functions were then considered 3rd party *cheats* though plenty of us would agree were ultimately more like enhancements the fact that they were added to the game pretty much validates that notion, but at the time they weren't legal and the primary reason even the cheaters didn't actively use the 3 debuffs for spell interruption the way they do now on private servers. Smart cheaters don't actively try to draw attention to the fact that they are cheating in the first place and when people are all ready suspicious enough that would have only made players more suspicious and the same reason most smart UOE cheaters didn't actively attack hidden players even when the show hidden feature was in UOE and actively worked.

That 16 step quickness advantage would have been glaringly obvious to even the stupidest of players who weren't legitimately cheating and when regular players were all using curse for obvious reasoning it was both a quicker overall solution to cast, but more efficient one additionally and one of habit as well from when meditate wasn't in game as well.

I hope I illustrated my point as to why doing something to prevent makes reasonable and accurate sense at it pertains to pre expansion UO game play era accuracy. If it's not enough to convince the community about the topic so be it, but I'd love to be able to see true UO infancy era servers actively be able to do something about it to keep the game play consistent in line with how actual game play was. You could easily do away with last target, arm, and disarm in regards to the earliest era time frame of the game which would fix it as well, but I feel the better solution is to keep the pvp in line with the way pvp was played at the time and UOE was prevalently used enough by the pvp and even the trade craft community that OSI added many features in the end.

It's personally my belief that everything in UO Extreme outside of the show hidden player feature should be implemented if at all possible in a true pre expansion era UO server if it really wishes to maintain era accuracy and particularly era fun. Other things would ideally have to take place as well for the most amount of fun enjoyment a lot of recall about the early days prior to stat loss and silly thief and archery changes. Gating a poison elemental or other nasty monster on afk players in town was a grand form of mischief to be had. It was not only murder count free it was evil's form of poetic justice you took the risk the player exploited it as a opportunity to well role play the villain if you will in a twisted sense of the term.

Return to UO:98